As creatives, we are instinctively drawn to the scintillating world of science fiction and fantasy. It is our retreat from the real world, an indulgent to push the boundaries of our imagination, permitting us to be a kid again.
The kernel of an idea for our in-house design project, DESIGN X SABER, started over a brown bag lunch at work. We shared our love for sci-fi fantasy movies and of course, Star Wars was on top of everyone’s lists.
The lightsaber is the most iconic symbol in the Star Wars universe. For every kid growing up with Star Wars in their eyes, to be able to wield a lightsaber was to demonstrate incredible skill and confidence. The hilt of the lightsaber was almost always self-fabricated by the wielder to match his or her specific needs, preferences and style.
Now, that, is a very seductive idea for a designer.
At the end of lunch, it became obvious to everyone that we have the perfect opportunity to creatively imagine what our own saber could be.
Here is the full list of our all-time favorite sci-fi movies. Perhaps we need to watch these classics again and find our next design inspiration? What's your favorite?
TOP 20 SCI-FI FAVORITES
1. Star Wars Original Trilogy
Star Wars IV – A New Hope (1977)
Star Wars V – The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Star Wars V – Return of the Jedi (1983)
2. Blade Runner – Ridley Scott (1982)
3. Alien – Ridley Scott (1979)
4. The Matrix – The Wachowskis (1999)
5. Gattaca – Andrew Niccol (1977)
6. Inception – Christopher Nolan (2010)
7. Big Hero 6 – Don Hall and Chris Williams (2014)
8. Fifth Element – Luc Besson (1997)
9. Tron – Steven Lisberger (1982)
10. 12 Monkeys – Terry Gilliam (1995)
11. Akira (1998)
12. Star Trek – J.J. Abrams (2009)
13. District 9 – Neill Blomkamp (2009)
14. Snowpiercer – (2013)
15. RoboCop – Paul Verhoeven (1987)
16. Total Recall – Paul Verhoeven (1990)
17. Men in Black – Barry Sonnenfeld (1997)
18. The Man Who Fell To Earth – Nicholas Roeg (1976)
19. Avatar – James Cameron (2009)
20. Children of Men – Alfonso Cuarón
See other PERSPECTIVE Reports